Thursday, September 18, 2014

富士山 Fuji-San! :D

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

You don't know how much this quote means until you've spent the day scaling Japan's highest mountain. Hiking is just walking, right? Look; I see kids and old people. This will be a piece of cake! Yeah.. my impression of the experience was a little flawed. But it was a rewarding experience nonetheless.




I fought my way up the volcano and after a long morning I hit summit. At that time I would have preferred to simply fall off a cliff and land at the bottom but that's not a way to go out in style. Despite August being one of the warmest months of the year, rain and frigid temperatures chilled my motivation and the altitude starved my brain both of delicious oxygen and my will to walk any more. But I persevered. Not until I reached the end of my journey did I feel it was rewarding. And though I cursed my decision to ascend for several hours, by the time I was back home I was thinking about the next time I'd take the trip to Mt. Fuji.


My favorite little trinket was the hiking stick I picked up at the gift shop at the 5th Station. There are little huts along the path on the way up and at each is a brand waiting to be burned into your hiking stick. 





No comments:

Post a Comment